If nothing else...

{Now Playing: "Blackbird", The Beatles}

Sometimes I really wish I had more than just words. I've spent my life writing, and while I truly believe in the power of words, at a time like this I really feel kind of useless. What's the point of all this shouting into the void? Does it even matter? Why can't I be someone who can actually help? But this is who I am and this is what I have. So I do the best I can.

With that in mind lately I've been thinking about all the things I've been putting out into the world. I can't help wondering if I'm just bringing everyone down. I see so many of you trying to stay positive and keep things light and then here I come with another sad/serious/angry post about how terrible this all is. And I think: "Am I doing the right thing? Am I only making things worse?" I honestly don't know. All I can think is: don't we owe it to the people who are suffering out there right now to pay attention? Don't we owe it to them to decry those who brought this on us through their greed and disdain for the lives of "ordinary people"? I know it's not easy and for some of us it's just too much, which is perfectly understandable. But if we can stand it, if we can stare into the face of this thing, don't we have to? Don't we at least owe all the people out there fighting and dying that much?

We have to look. We have to listen. No matter how much it hurts, no matter how many times it breaks our hearts, no matter how many tears we have to shed, we cannot turn away. If we can do nothing else at least we can bear witness... and never forget.

J.S.C.
4-9-2020

No comments:

Post a Comment

My photo
Male. Geek. Writes stuff.

The Audience

Archives